Saturday, September 30, 2017

Gardening Scenes #1: Transferring an Overgrown Aloe Vera Plant to Another Pot

I recently saw our aloe vera plant was almost out of its pot because it was overgrown and/or got heavier. It was planted in an old paint container and initially just one plant. Now, there are several new aloe vera plants around it and I am glad that it multiplied that much already after few months of almost just literally leaving it alone in front of the house. 😊
PhotoGrid_1505812600254.jpg
I just placed a tube under the overgrown aloe vera as a temporary remedy while I am looking for another pot for it. So that it will not just breaks anytime soon.
Found a pot where we used to plant some chili peppers that did not survived. I removed whatever was left in there and water the soil so that it will be easier to dig it and transfer the aloe vera.
PhotoGrid_1505812519600.jpg
It was a broken old pale that we just put a wire around it so that it will not totally breaks. Then, I placed the pot with aloe vera on the floor since it was placed in a higher place. That way it will be easier for me to pull the overgrown plant. It was quite heavy already so it was my instant workout for that day. 😊
PhotoGrid_1505812475025.jpg
I just decided to pull it to lessen the possible damage on those little plants around it. Also it will be hard to dig it to its end roots. It required much force to really pulled it and it was the most challenging part of the transferring process. I do not have gloves yet so, I am really careful not to touch those thorns.
PhotoGrid_1505812396554.jpg
After minutes of attempts and perseverance, I was able to pulled it totally from the pot. Then I placed it carefully to the ground and made sure the leaves were not going to break or have a very least damage.
PhotoGrid_1505812282637.jpg
PhotoGrid_1505812217142.jpg
The paint container pot looks like this after I removed the overgrown plant. The smaller plants become bit disoriented/misplaced and so I fixed it after.
PhotoGrid_1505812323783.jpg
After fixing it, I placed it to its original spot in front of the house so that it will continue to grow and multiply. It was placed on a higher place so that the cats will not easily be curious on it. 😊
aloe.jpg
Then I started to dig the soil in a pot where I will be transferring the aloe vera plant. Placed some soil temporarily on the ground with a sack so that to lessen the mess and it will be easier for me to place it back on the pot.
PhotoGrid_1505812251148.jpg
First and several attempts of placing the overgrown plant was not successful cause its roots was longer than the old pale pot.
PhotoGrid_1505812189879.jpg
So I decided to just cut the roots to make it fit the pot. Anyways, I originally planted it without roots yet as I brought it that way cause it was cheaper than buying aloe vera on pots. That is why I am glad it grown that much and multiply. Hoping this time it will be a success again that it will grow roots and grow more.
PhotoGrid_1505812160769.jpg
So it fitted on the pot already and I put back the soil and fixed it. Felt happy it was already placed properly and have the opportunity to grow more.
PhotoGrid_1505812085322.jpg
The root that I cut from it has a seedling/starting to grow leaves so I decided to also plant it in the pot so that it could also grow.
PhotoGrid_1505874315020.jpg
PhotoGrid_1505811996544.jpg
So, why did I decided to plant aloe vera in the first place? It is because it has lots of uses. When my fingers were starting itching like crazy, I searched on what it could be and found out about warts. As I am into natural remedy thing rather than commercialized medications, I searched for herbal plants that could cure skin problems and I found out about the wonders of aloe vera. At first, I bought aloe vera on pots and use its juice to cure the itchiness on my fingers and it solved it. After that, I attempted several times to grow my own aloe vera and failed several times. Failed because I thought it was like the other plants that you need to water on a daily basis but it was not.
Aloe vera can survive with a very little water and the proper way to water it is directly to its soil. Learned that when I asked the guy who sold me that aloe vera that overgrown. Good thing that I asked. 😊
That overgrown aloe vera above can cost around 150 to 200 pesos here when you buy it on pot. So it could be a good business someday.
Aloe vera juice is also a great hand sanitizer that is why you can commonly see it as an ingredient on those sanitizer products. I am also planning to make my own aloe vera soap someday so that I will not need to buy in the market and that I can be sure that it will be organic or skin safe soap. It can also be used in treating wounds and other skin infections so, no need to buy creams or lotions. It has been proven that it has medicinal properties. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me