Friday, November 10, 2017

My Memories of Crocheting

We can define crocheting as an art of interlocking loops of various threads or yarns to create a new piece.
PhotoGrid_1507903022733.jpg
I could say that crocheting gave a lot of good memories to me. Mostly because of my grandmother as it was her favorite hobby before. She had crocheted wonderful pieces that shown her being patient and creative. She made some television cover, altar cover, a full dress for me when I was in grade school which was not kept properly through the years and it was disposed, and the biggest she have created was a blanket. I can still remember how warm that blanket was, just like how warm my grandmother's love and care for us.
The hook in the photo above is my grandmother's crocheting hook. I was able to kept it and I am thankful that I did because some of her things were lost when she passed away. Other relatives took it and some I am not sure if they just disposed.
PhotoGrid_1507902907787.jpg
That yellow crocheted piece is one of my first finished project. My grandmother taught me how to hold the hook while crocheting and some loops but I did not get serious with it. I preferred playing street games and watch anime movies instead of crocheting.
During grade school years, we had a crocheting subject/topic so, I need to really finish something to pass that subject. Which was that yellow flower vase mat that I now forgot how to make those variable loops.
PhotoGrid_1507902885214.jpg
In 2007, I become interested in crocheting again when I decided to make my own cellphone case cause I cannot find something that I like in the market. I make it simple with just one kind of loop and I added a feature which is like a hook or handle in the case where you can insert your finger so that it will not fall easily just like in the photo below.
PhotoGrid_1507902805594.jpg
My friends saw my cellphone case and asked where I brought it. When they learned that I made it, they told me to made one for them and they will pay me. That was the start of my "crocheting business" which was just for that time until I have finished their orders. Just recently when mobile phones where bigger and without keypads, someone asked me to make a case for his cellphone but I refused, cause it take several hours to finish one, more if it is bigger in size.
PhotoGrid_1507902927628.jpg
I also crocheted some coin purses before. Some of those were bought from me and some were given to some friends as gift. The problem with this crocheted coin purse, it will become loose as time pass by especially if you are putting a lot of coins on it. So it will be needed to make it with thick loops.
Or maybe add a hard board or kind of fabric inside of it so that it can be more firmer. I have kept this one piece of coin purse and just serving now as one of my souvenir/collection.
Below is a photo of how to hold the thread. I just knew the very basic and maybe someday, will get back on it again and begin learning new more patterns. It will took a lot of time to finish a piece so, you really have to spend time and have real interest on it.
PhotoGrid_1507902768724.jpg
I still have some threads/yarns that I am keeping through the years. Good thing that this kind of items are not perishable, just like a hobby that can be picked up again along the way. Someday these threads will be of use again not only to create new art pieces but also to bring back good memories.


PhotoGrid_1507902736795.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me